Updated: Dec 10, 2020
For the Strawberry Cupcake:
• 4 cups Unbleached Purpose Flour
• 2 cup White Sugar
• 2 tsp Baking Soda
• 1 tsp Sea Salt
• 2 cup Strawberry Purée (fresh)
• 3-4 drops Strawberry flavoring (for candy making)
• 2/3 cup canola oil
• 2 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
• 2 tbsp Flaxmeal
• 6 tbsp water
• 1 Tsp Red Food Coloring (Optional)
1. Cut the stems off strawberries and blend until purée consistency.
2. In a small bowl stir flax egg ingredients and set aside for about 5-10 mins.
3. Put all the dry ingredients in a large bowl and whisk to combine.
4. To the flour mixture add the Purée, flavoring, oil, vinegar, flax eggs and food coloring. Batter will be thick so don't over mix ;make sure it's well incorporated.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 23 mins. or until a knife stuck in the center comes out clean.
For the Strawberry Frosting:
• 1 cup Vegan Butter (room temperature)
• 1 cup shortening (non hydrogenated) I use spectrum brand
• 1/2 tsp sea salt
• 6 cups Powdered Sugar
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 2 tbsp cup Strawberry Purée
• 2-3 drops Strawberry flavoring ( for candy making)
1. In a large bowl with an electric mixer beat butter and shortening until smooth and light in color. Scrap down the sides.
2. Add the salt; on low to medium speed and start adding the powdered sugar in 1 cup at a time. Scrap down the sides so everything is well combined.
3. Once your frosting is light and fluffy add the vanilla, purée and flavoring and beat for 2 more minutes.
4. Cupcakes should be completely cooked before you frost.