Updated: Dec 10, 2020
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
• 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
• 1 sweet red pepper, chopped
• 1 15oz.can diced tomatoes (I used rotel)
• 2 tablespoons green seasoning
• 2 tablespoons ground cumin
• 2 chicken-less bouillon
• 4 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
• 4 cups water
• 4 green onion, sliced
• Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
• Hot sauce to taste
• Optional garnishes: sliced avocado and grated vegan parmesan cheese…
• Mash half of the beans to a slightly chunky or smooth texture. (Food processor/ blender).
• Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, celery and sweet peppers and a light sprinkle of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetable are soft, about 10 to 15 minutes.
• Stir in the green seasoning, cumin and bouillon cube and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Pour in the mashed/ blended beans and water, bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Cook, reducing heat as necessary to maintain a gentle simmer, add the rest of the beans and green onions.
• Continue to cook until the broth is flavorful and the beans are very tender, about 30 minutes.
• Add salt, pepper and hot sauce to taste.
Tip : If you would like a thinner soup add more water. If you desire a creamier soup remove 1 cup of the soup and blend until smooth.